It is my pleasure to welcome you to the 3nd edition of the Fondazione Internazionale Menarini Asian Pacific Society of Cardiology (APSC) Emerging
Leaders Scholarship Programme.
The Asia Pacific Region has increasingly been thrust into the spotlight of cardiology developments in the 21st century. Home to half of the world
population with some of the fastest growing and yet fastest aging populations, the region would only continue to grow in importance to the progress of cardiology. It becomes increasingly important to us at the APSC to develop the next generation of leaders to spearhead the progress of Cardiology across the Asia Pacific.
The FIM APSC Emerging Leaders Programme was initiated in 2017 and it provides a platform for emerging leaders who are committed and talented individuals to network, discuss and improve cardiovascular disease management in their respective communities. The APSC provides leadership guidance, professional development and facilitates this all important networking opportunities. With diverse background from more than 20 countries, the discussion on multiple disciplines of cardiology is robust. The programme features a truly global and diverse faculty comprising of representatives from the American College of Cardiology, European Cardiology Society, World Heart Foundation, Asian Pacific Society of Cardiology, other academia, practising senior cardiologists and surgeons covering a range of topics of relevance to their professional
practise whether clinical research or administrative. On day one for this year’s programme, each Emerging Leader will share on thechallenges faced in their country, discuss measures taken to counter these challenges and also brainstorm on solutions and outcomes. They then move into group discussion to dwell on the issues raised and each group will make a presentation, facilitated by the faculty members.
The faculty will address issues on:
• Building leaders for the future of cardiology
• Effective presentation
• Secret of success as a national cardiovascular society
On day two, the faculty will take the lead to address on the following topics:
• Look young, stay young: Leading without burnout or premature aging
• Effective networking and fundraising for cardiology medicine
• Medical education and conflicts with industry
• Building your academic reputation – Brand you
• Advocacy from both sides of the fence; from cardiologist to Minister and how
to effectively engage the government
• Engaging Gen X of cardiologists: how? Why? When?
• Healthcare digital transformation in Korea
• Top 3 leadership tips for research success for the young cardiologist
The two faculty forums are dynamic platforms for exchange and deep
• APSC role in helping the Emerging Leaders overcome the challenges faced and
• The leadership challenges in the Asia Pacific region.
We are looking forward to a fruitful and engaging discussion.
Jack Wei-Chieh TAN,
Kenny Yoong Kong SIN